If you’re an avid hiker or just starting out, you’ll need the right gear to make your journey comfortable and enjoyable. REI, or Recreational Equipment Inc., is a one-stop-shop for all your hiking needs. With a vast selection of hiking gear, it can be overwhelming to know where to start. This guide will provide an in-depth look at REI’s extensive range of hiking gear, from boots to backpacks, and everything in between. Get ready to explore the great outdoors with confidence and style, all while staying within your budget. So, gear up and let’s get started!
The Best Hiking Gear at REI: An Overview
What Makes REI a Leading Destination for Hiking Gear
A Wide Selection of Top-Quality Brands
REI offers a vast array of hiking gear from various top-quality brands. These brands are carefully selected based on their reputation for producing high-quality products that are durable, reliable, and designed to meet the needs of hikers. From footwear to backpacks, tents to sleeping bags, and everything in between, REI has a wide selection of products from leading brands such as Merrell, The North Face, Columbia, and more.
Expert Advice and Knowledgeable Staff
REI is known for its knowledgeable and friendly staff who are passionate about outdoor activities and have a wealth of knowledge about hiking gear. Whether you’re a seasoned hiker or a newbie, REI’s staff can provide expert advice on the best gear for your needs, based on your experience level, the terrain you’ll be hiking, and the length of your trip. They can also offer tips on how to properly maintain and care for your gear, ensuring that it lasts for many hikes to come.
Competitive Pricing and Exceptional Deals
REI is committed to offering competitive pricing on all of its hiking gear, ensuring that customers get the best value for their money. In addition to everyday low prices, REI also offers exceptional deals and discounts on hiking gear, making it easy for hikers to save money while still getting the gear they need. Whether you’re looking for a new backpack, a pair of hiking boots, or a tent for your next camping trip, REI has the gear you need at a price you can afford.
REI’s Hiking Gear Categories: A Detailed Look
REI offers a vast array of hiking gear that caters to the needs of different hikers, from beginners to experienced backpackers. The gear is organized into various categories to make it easier for customers to find what they need. Here is a detailed look at each category:
- Hiking Boots and Shoes: Hiking boots and shoes are an essential part of any hiker’s gear. REI offers a variety of boots and shoes that provide different levels of support, protection, and comfort. Whether you prefer lightweight trail runners or sturdy hiking boots, REI has you covered.
- Hiking Pants and Shorts: Hiking pants and shorts are designed to provide comfort and mobility while on the trail. REI offers a range of options, including quick-drying pants and shorts, stretch pants, and pants with built-in sun protection.
- Hiking Shirts and Tops: Hiking shirts and tops are designed to be comfortable and functional. REI offers a variety of options, including moisture-wicking shirts, quick-drying tank tops, and long-sleeve shirts with built-in sun protection.
- Hiking Socks: Hiking socks are an essential part of any hiker’s gear. REI offers a variety of socks that provide different levels of cushioning, support, and moisture-wicking capabilities.
- Backpacks: Backpacks are an essential part of any hiking trip. REI offers a variety of backpacks that provide different levels of storage capacity, comfort, and durability. Whether you prefer a lightweight daypack or a large backpacking pack, REI has a variety of options to choose from.
- Hydration Systems: Hydration systems are essential for hikers who spend long days on the trail. REI offers a variety of hydration systems, including water bottles, hydration bladders, and water filters.
- Headlamps and Flashlights: Headlamps and flashlights are essential for hiking in the dark or in low-light conditions. REI offers a variety of headlamps and flashlights that provide different levels of brightness and battery life.
- First Aid and Emergency Supplies: First aid and emergency supplies are essential for any hiking trip. REI offers a variety of first aid kits, emergency blankets, and other supplies that can help in case of an emergency.
- Navigation Tools: Navigation tools are essential for hikers who want to stay on track and avoid getting lost. REI offers a variety of navigation tools, including compasses, maps, and GPS devices.
Gear and Equipment
- Tents and Shelters: Tents and shelters are essential for backpacking trips. REI offers a variety of tents and shelters that provide different levels of protection and comfort. Whether you prefer a lightweight backpacking tent or a more spacious car camping tent, REI has a variety of options to choose from.
- Sleeping Bags and Pads: Sleeping bags and pads are essential for backpacking trips. REI offers a variety of sleeping bags and pads that provide different levels of warmth and comfort. Whether you prefer a lightweight backpacking sleeping bag or a more spacious car camping sleeping bag, REI has a variety of options to choose from.
- Cooking and Campfire Gear: Cooking and campfire gear are essential for backpacking trips. REI offers a variety of cooking stoves, pots, pans, and other campfire gear that can help you prepare meals and stay warm around the campfire.
- Coolers and Food Storage: Coolers and food storage are essential for any hiking trip. REI offers a variety of coolers and food storage containers that can help you keep your food fresh and
How to Choose the Right Hiking Gear for Your Needs
Deciding on Essential Hiking Gear and Accessories
Hiking is an enjoyable activity that allows individuals to explore the great outdoors, connect with nature, and challenge themselves physically. However, to fully appreciate the experience, it is crucial to have the right gear. In this section, we will discuss the essential hiking gear and accessories that every hiker should consider.
Must-Have Items for Every Hike
There are certain items that are considered must-haves for every hike, regardless of the difficulty level or duration. These include:
- Hiking boots or shoes: Proper footwear is essential for hiking, as it provides support, protection, and stability. Hiking boots or shoes should fit well, be comfortable, and have good traction on various terrains.
- Backpack: A sturdy backpack is necessary for carrying essential items such as food, water, and personal belongings. The backpack should be comfortable, have multiple compartments, and be durable enough to withstand the elements.
- Water bottle or hydration system: Staying hydrated is critical during hikes, and carrying a water bottle or hydration system is essential. A water bottle with a filter or purifier can also be useful for refilling water sources along the trail.
- Map and compass or GPS device: Navigating the trail can be challenging, and having a map and compass or GPS device can help hikers stay on track. These tools can also be helpful in case of emergencies.
- First aid kit: Accidents can happen, and having a first aid kit can be a lifesaver. The kit should include essentials such as bandages, antiseptic wipes, and pain relievers.
Recommended Accessories Based on Your Preferences
In addition to the must-have items, there are several accessories that hikers may want to consider based on their preferences and the specific conditions of their hike. These include:
- Hiking poles: Hiking poles can provide additional support and stability on steep terrain and help distribute weight on the legs. They can also be useful for maintaining balance on slippery or uneven surfaces.
- Hat and sunglasses: Protecting your face from the sun is important, and a hat and sunglasses can provide relief from the sun’s rays. A hat with a wide brim can also help keep the face cool and protect from bugs.
- Sunscreen and insect repellent: Sun exposure and insect bites can be uncomfortable and even dangerous, so it is important to protect yourself with sunscreen and insect repellent. Look for products with high SPF and DEET for maximum protection.
- Headlamp or flashlight: Hiking in the dark or in areas with limited light can be challenging, and having a headlamp or flashlight can provide necessary illumination. Make sure to bring extra batteries and a backup light source.
- Camera: Capturing memories of the hike can be a fun and rewarding experience, and a camera can help preserve these moments. However, it is important to choose a camera that is durable and easy to use, as well as to bring extra memory cards and batteries.
Overall, deciding on essential hiking gear and accessories requires careful consideration of individual preferences and the specific conditions of the hike. By choosing the right gear, hikers can fully enjoy the experience and create lasting memories.
REI’s Hiking Gear: Top Picks and Best Sellers
Hiking Boots and Shoes
When it comes to hiking, having the right footwear is crucial. REI offers a wide range of hiking boots and shoes to choose from, each designed to provide support, stability, and comfort on the trails.
- Merrell Moab 2 Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot: This boot is a popular choice among hikers due to its durability, support, and waterproofing. The Vibram outsole provides excellent grip on various terrains, while the air cushion in the midsole offers excellent shock absorption.
- The North Face Flight Vectiv Mid Hiking Boot: These boots are lightweight and flexible, making them ideal for long-distance hikes. The Vectiv Traction outsole provides excellent grip on various surfaces, while the boot’s construction offers great support and stability.
- Salomon X Ultra Mid AMC Hiking Boot: These boots are designed for rugged terrain and challenging hikes. The Salomon X Ultra Mid AMC Hiking Boot features a supportive fit and a protective toe cap, as well as a Grip Tech outsole for excellent grip on wet and dry surfaces.
- Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot: This boot is a popular choice among hikers due to its durability, support, and waterproofing. The Vibram outsole provides excellent grip on various terrains, while the air cushion in the midsole offers excellent shock absorption.
- Merrell Women’s Moab 2 Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot: These boots are designed specifically for women and offer excellent support and stability on the trails. The Vibram outsole provides excellent grip on various terrains, while the air cushion in the midsole offers excellent shock absorption.
- The North Face Men’s Flight Vectiv Mid Hiking Boot: These boots are lightweight and flexible, making them ideal for long-distance hikes. The Vectiv Traction outsole provides excellent grip on various surfaces, while the boot’s construction offers great support and stability.
REI offers a wide range of hiking apparel to meet the diverse needs of hikers. From lightweight and quick-drying materials to moisture-wicking technologies, the hiking apparel at REI is designed to keep you comfortable and protected on the trail. Here are some of the top picks and best sellers in hiking apparel at REI.
- Columbia Men’s and Women’s Titan Pass Hiking Boots – These boots are designed for maximum comfort and support, with features such as a sturdy steel shank and a cushioned footbed.
- Patagonia Men’s and Women’s Houdini Jacket – This versatile jacket is made from recycled polyester and has a durable water-repellent finish. It can be easily packed into its own pocket for convenient storage.
Merrell Men’s and Women’s Moab 2 Vent Mid Waterproof Hiking Boots – These boots are designed for both comfort and protection, with features such as a waterproof leather and suede upper and a supportive EVA midsole.
Craghoppers Men’s and Women’s Nosi Life Bug Repellent Clothing – This clothing range is treated with an insect repellent finish to keep bugs at bay, and is made from lightweight and quick-drying materials.
- Smartwool Men’s and Women’s PhD Seamless Socks – These socks are made from a blend of merino wool and synthetic fibers, and are designed to provide superior cushioning and support.
- The North Face Men’s and Women’s Hoodie – This hoodie is made from recycled polyester and has a comfortable, relaxed fit. It also features a full zip and elastic cuffs for added warmth.
When it comes to hiking, having the right accessories can make all the difference. REI offers a wide range of hiking accessories that cater to different needs and preferences. From hats and gloves to trekking poles and hydration systems, this section has it all. Here are some top picks and best sellers in the category of hiking accessories.
- Outdoor Research Helium Bivy Sack: This lightweight and compact bivy sack is perfect for backpacking and camping trips. It is made of waterproof and breathable materials, ensuring a comfortable and dry night’s sleep.
- Black Diamond Storm Headlamp: This versatile headlamp is perfect for navigating trails in low light conditions. It has a durable design and can be worn on the head or helmet.
Columbia Titan Pass II Fleece Jacket: This fleece jacket is perfect for cooler temperatures and is made of high-quality materials that provide warmth and comfort.
MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2-Person Tent: This tent is a popular choice among hikers and backpackers due to its lightweight and compact design. It has ample space for two people and is easy to set up.
- GloveSlayer: These gloves are perfect for hiking in cold weather conditions. They are made of high-quality materials that provide warmth and dexterity, making them ideal for handling gear and navigating rough terrain.
- CamelBak Chute Mag: This hydration system is a popular choice among hikers and is known for its durability and ease of use. It has a large capacity and is easy to clean.
Hiking Gear and Equipment
Hiking is a popular outdoor activity that requires proper gear and equipment to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience. REI offers a wide range of hiking gear and equipment for various skill levels and types of hikes. Here are some of the top picks and best sellers for hiking gear and equipment.
- Backpacks: A good backpack is essential for any hike, and REI offers a variety of options for different styles and purposes. Top picks include the REI Co-op Flash 45 Pack, which is lightweight and perfect for day hikes, and the REI Co-op Aruba 70 Pack, which is designed for multi-day backpacking trips.
- Hiking Boots: A sturdy and comfortable pair of hiking boots is a must-have for any hiker. REI offers a range of hiking boots for both men and women, with top picks including the REI Co-op Evertherm Trinity Bottom and the REI Co-op Targhee III Mid WP Hiking Boots.
Tents: Whether you’re planning a weekend camping trip or a multi-day backpacking adventure, a good tent is crucial. REI offers a variety of tents for different styles and budgets, with top picks including the REI Co-op Quarter Dome 1 SL Tent and the REI Co-op Kingdom 6 Person Tent.
Hiking Poles: Hiking poles are great for providing support and stability on steep trails and uneven terrain. REI’s best-selling hiking poles include the REI Co-op Trailboss Poles and the REI Co-op Powderbond Poles.
- Hydration Systems: Staying hydrated is crucial on any hike, and REI offers a variety of hydration systems to keep you hydrated throughout your adventure. Best-selling hydration systems include the REI Co-op Dry Sack 2.0 and the REI Co-op Fluid Peak Flex 1L Hydration Reservoir.
- Headlamps: A good headlamp is essential for navigating trails in the dark or for camping trips. REI’s best-selling headlamps include the REI Co-op Camp Ditty and the REI Co-op Tungsten Headlamp.
In conclusion, REI offers a wide range of hiking gear and equipment for hikers of all skill levels and types of hikes. From backpacks and hiking boots to tents and hydration systems, REI has everything you need to make your next hiking adventure a success.
Expert Tips for Enhancing Your Hiking Experience with REI Gear
Maintaining and Repairing Your Hiking Gear
Proper maintenance and repair of your hiking gear is essential to ensure that it remains in good condition and continues to provide the support and protection you need while on the trail. Here are some tips to help you maintain and repair your hiking gear:
Tips for Prolonging the Life of Your Gear
- Store your gear properly: When not in use, store your gear in a cool, dry place. Avoid exposing your gear to direct sunlight or moisture, as this can cause damage over time.
- Keep your gear clean: Regularly clean your gear with mild soap and water to remove dirt and debris. This will help prevent the growth of bacteria and fungus, which can cause odors and damage to your gear.
- Inspect your gear regularly: Before each use, inspect your gear for any signs of wear or damage. Replace any damaged or worn-out parts as needed to ensure that your gear remains in good condition.
Basic Repairs and Maintenance Techniques
- Repair tears and holes: Small tears and holes in your gear can be repaired using duct tape or fabric patches.
- Replace worn-out parts: If your gear has worn-out parts, such as zippers or buckles, replace them with new ones to ensure that your gear continues to function properly.
- Resole worn-out boots: If the soles of your hiking boots are worn out, you can resole them by replacing the old soles with new ones. This can be done at home using a DIY kit or by taking them to a cobbler.
- Repair leaks: If your tent or backpack has a leak, you can repair it using a waterproof tape or sealant.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your hiking gear remains in good condition and continues to provide the support and protection you need while on the trail.
Staying Safe and Prepared on the Trail
Hiking can be a thrilling and rewarding experience, but it also comes with its own set of risks. To ensure a safe and enjoyable hike, it’s important to be prepared for any situation that may arise. Here are some tips for staying safe and prepared on the trail:
Emergency Preparedness Tips
- Always carry a first aid kit: Accidents can happen at any time, and it’s important to be prepared for any minor injuries that may occur. Make sure to include items such as bandages, gauze, tweezers, and pain relievers in your kit.
- Bring plenty of water: Dehydration can quickly become a serious issue on the trail, so it’s important to bring enough water to last for the duration of your hike. Aim to bring at least one liter of water per hour of hiking, and consider bringing a water filter or purification tablets to ensure your water is safe to drink.
- Tell someone where you’re going: Before setting out on your hike, let someone know your intended route and estimated time of return. This way, if you don’t return on time, someone will know to send search and rescue teams to look for you.
Navigating Unfamiliar Terrain
- Know your limits: It’s important to choose hikes that are within your skill level and physical abilities. If you’re new to hiking or unfamiliar with a particular trail, start with easier hikes and gradually work your way up to more challenging ones.
- Use a map and compass: Even if you’re using a GPS device or mobile app to navigate, it’s still important to have a basic understanding of map and compass reading. This will help you navigate in areas with poor or no cell reception, and will also give you a better understanding of your surroundings.
- Stay on marked trails: While it may be tempting to explore off-trail, this can be dangerous as it can lead to getting lost, getting injured, or encountering wildlife. Stick to marked trails to ensure a safe and enjoyable hike.
Maximizing Comfort and Performance
Maximizing comfort and performance is crucial for an enjoyable and successful hiking experience. To achieve this, personalizing your gear and employing advanced techniques can make a significant difference. Here are some tips to help you maximize comfort and performance while hiking with REI gear.
Personalizing Your Gear for Optimal Comfort
Properly fitting gear is essential for optimal comfort during a hike. REI offers a wide range of gear with adjustable features to ensure a personalized fit. Adjustable straps, buckles, and waistbands can be adjusted to fit your body type and provide the support you need. Additionally, selecting the right size for your body type is crucial to avoid discomfort and reduce the risk of injury.
Advanced Techniques for Enhancing Performance
To enhance your performance during a hike, employing advanced techniques can help you achieve your goals. For example, using trekking poles can help distribute weight evenly and reduce stress on your joints. Properly sizing your backpack is also essential, ensuring that it is not too heavy or too small, which can cause discomfort and hinder your performance. Additionally, wearing moisture-wicking fabrics can help keep you cool and dry, reducing the risk of overheating and blisters.
By personalizing your gear and employing advanced techniques, you can maximize your comfort and performance during a hike. The right gear and techniques can make a significant difference in your hiking experience, allowing you to focus on the beauty of the trail and the enjoyment of the hike.
1. Does REI have hiking gear?
Yes, REI has a wide range of hiking gear for both beginners and experienced hikers. From boots and backpacks to camping gear and accessories, REI offers a variety of products to suit different needs and preferences.
2. What type of hiking gear does REI offer?
REI offers a variety of hiking gear, including boots, backpacks, tents, sleeping bags, stoves, and accessories such as headlamps, hydration systems, and hiking poles. They also carry gear from top brands like The North Face, Columbia, and Merrell.
3. How can I find the right hiking gear at REI?
REI has a comprehensive online guide that can help you find the right gear for your hike. You can filter by category, brand, and activity level, and read reviews from other customers to make an informed decision. Additionally, REI has knowledgeable staff who can provide advice and recommendations based on your specific needs.
4. Can I return hiking gear that I don’t like?
Yes, REI has a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all of their hiking gear. If you’re not satisfied with your purchase, you can return it for a full refund or exchange it for something else.
5. Is REI’s hiking gear expensive?
REI offers a range of hiking gear at different price points, from budget-friendly options to high-end gear for experienced hikers. It’s important to consider your needs and budget when choosing the right gear for your hike.